Saturday, October 10, 2009

What you see is what you get... or is it?

I had a client call the other day looking for a creative way to say Happy Birthday to her 99 year old grandfather. Pop-Pop is a life-long chocoholic - does this give us yet another reason to eat more chocolate lol? I didn't want to just put the candy in a basket or other container, it needed to be a very special gift and that just screamed boring. I remembered the candy cake rage of a couple of seasons ago and Googled around a bit. What I saw was ok but still didn't fit the bill. The majority of the cakes were miniature bars glued to styrofoam. Hot glue and chocolate bars... really? The purchase prices were obviously mostly labor fees as there really wasn't much actual candy in any of the creations I saw. Frustrated I went to my happy place... yup, that would be Starbucks! As I enjoyed my ice cold tea and mulled the situation over I had an idea!



Our cake is comprised of 26 full size candy bars and a heaping helping of miniatures. I wanted the cake to look clean and upscale so I created a container from the large bars and filled the inside with the remaining goodies. I have several more ideas for spin-off "cakes" so keep and eye to the blog for more fun!

1 comment: